Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Doggie Boot Camp

Today I decided that I need to get into gear and get on top of this 4H year. Yesterday, I was at our state fair for 4H. My dogs didn't qualify, but I volunteered and I went to spend time with my friends who qualified in my county. It dawned on my yesterday that I am starting my last year as a student in 4H. NERVE RACKING! So starting today, I am really going to get my bum into gear and make my final year of 4H the best that it can be.
With that said, this afternoon, I took both of my dogs out on the back patio. I was treat training the dogs, something I used to never do because of how overweight Sparkie is. He used to be much worse that what he is now. I worked with both dogs for about a half hour. Blew was overly excited because he was actually working for treats. He was so excited that he didn't do exactly what he was told because the treats were the coolest thing since sliced bread. He was so overwhelmed he couldn't stay still for more than five seconds. It was like having a two month old puppy all over again!
Sparkie thought that the treats were too good to be true, so he didn't believe that they were actually in my pocket. He barely got excited by the treats, which is highly unlike him. But anyone who thought that corgis were very easy going and push overs thought WRONG. Sparkie has a very strong stubborn streak. The reason why is that he think that he is the brightest bulb ever, so what I am telling him to do, isn't that great of an idea so his idea is the better one to choose. In some ways, it's just his giant ego showing. I was trying to get him to do the stand for examination, which is always his downfall in the show ring. Each time I got him to stand, just before I gave the command to stay, he was immediately sit down. This is where Sparkie proved how stubborn he is.
Anybody who thought that training a dog is easy, think again. It take patience. All they want to do is please, but they get ahead of themselves. Always remember that the best thing to give them is lots of love and praise!
So tonight, I started teaching Sparkie dance moves also. I can get him to put his front paws on my knees, and if I take his paws in my hands, I'll walk backwards and of course he comes with me. He isn't comfortable with it yet, but like all things, practice makes perfect. My goal is to have him do a full dance routine by the time the fair is here next year. I have seen many videos of dancing corgis and would love to have him be a dancing corgi. Also, it will help get him back in the proper shape. Yes, round is a shape, but not healthy for a little guy like him.
Part of his doggie boot camp is to have him be active. Training him is great, but one of his ultimate favorite games to play is fetch. I have to tell him "drop it, leave it, get it," though or else I am tugging a slimy rubber ball out of his mouth. So tonight from 8 pm until 10 pm while I was watching The X Factor I was throwing the ball for him. He is a lot of fun to play with. By the end of the night, he was panting fairly hard.
After the end of the night, I weighed him.
 Prepare yourself for the verdict. Sparkie weighs a whopping 30 pounds. That is about four pounds overweight. I know it is going to be hard (especially because I start classes on Monday) but I am going to work very hard to get him into proper shape. I want to make my last 4H year all that I can.
So now I will leave you with a cheerful video of a corgi dance routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment